Shadow Unit
November 24, 2014, 06:54:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is better to be remorseful than to be room temperature.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby Platypuses for Sale (sort of)  (Read 10323 times)
jennygadget

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:33:36 pm »

I was shopping for a birthday present for my niece when I ran across this:

http://www.hasbro.com/littlestpetshop/en_US/discover/Special-Edition-Platypus-Offer.cfm

Sadly, you need to collect a bunch of proof of purchase stickers and send away for it, or else I would have picked it up.

For my niece, of course.
MadGastronomer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:12 pm »

For your niece. Of course.

Someone tell me I don't need this, certainly not enough to buy eight other toys and wait 12 weeks to get it.
Foxipher Jones

A fox by any other name...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

That is a TERRIFYING little creature.

~ Foxipher Jones ~

“Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
jeffy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

You don't need it. Why is it crying? Why are they all crying? WTF?
jennygadget

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »

Why is it crying? Why are they all crying? WTF?

That was my question.

Generally speaking, they are all a little bit cute in a weird sort of way, but the crying is definitely disturbing.  I am guessing it's because they want to be adopted or something.  But it's still creepy.  (and illogical.  They don't stop crying when you take them home.)
Elizabeth Bear
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »

I think that's ugly and awful.

...yeah, I never liked most of the hit toys when I was a kid either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chaz: "As if puberty weren't stressful enough."

Todd: "See? That's why we're better than all those other law enforcement agencies. Correct use of the subjunctive."
txanne
Laser Snark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »

Are they crying, or is it just the anime-eye thing?

Either way, platypuses are tough little bastards, like oh I don't know COYOTES AND FOXES, and the chibi-ization is really very odd. I mean, I love the chibi-Cthulhu vid on YouTube, but a chibi platypus? That's just not right.

(OTOH, you will have to tear my stuffed platypus out of my cold dead hands. Here is a bad picture of one who is not mine: http://www.mortonfox.com/photos/images/platypus.jpg)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:11:31 pm by txanne » Logged
Bunny M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:45 am »

You don't need it. Why is it crying? Why are they all crying? WTF?

Er, that's way creepier than I expected, even having read the comments first.  Undecided

Are they crying, or is it just the anime-eye thing?

Either way, platypuses are tough little bastards, like oh I don't know COYOTES AND FOXES, and the chibi-ization is really very odd. I mean, I love the chibi-Cthulhu vid on YouTube, but a chibi platypus? That's just not right.

(OTOH, you will have to tear my stuffed platypus out of my cold dead hands. Here is a bad picture of one who is not mine: http://www.mortonfox.com/photos/images/platypus.jpg)

I don't know, a chibi platypus, whilst really hard to do right, would have WMD levels of ky00tons, I do believe. And of course platypodes* are tough as nails, they're Australian animals.  Grin

Also, re: the crying thing, no, that's not just the messed up distortion of the chibi look, they are almost all crying. *shudders*

(*) Platypodes, dammit, I don't care what my spell-checker insists! Platypuses is just a silly word!**

(**) And this has nothing to do with the fact that it makes me sound like a bad Daffy Duck impression***, honest.   Embarrassed

(***) Really, I'd rather sound pedantic than that.  Roll Eyes

*watches his life get devoured like Dread Cthulhu snacking on a yacht*

Snacking, folks, snacking. I don't know where you got any other ideas, and frankly I'm not sure I want to know =)
miminnehaha

Has anyone seen my book? Anybody?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:35:33 am »

My 6-year-old, thanks to Great-Grandma, has a box full of "LPS"-- they are about 90% creepy, although not as bad as the platypus (which she will not be getting!).  My 9-year-old came home from school yesterday wanting to "research platypi"!  They know I read "that book" (SU) online, but I don't think they know about the platypus connection...
Although, now that Bear mentions it, I may need a stuffed one for my birthday!

"I was waiting for the dotted yellow.  I'm not Chaz."                          It was a rich, hallucinatory web of geometry...
Bunny M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:44 am »

My 6-year-old, thanks to Great-Grandma, has a box full of "LPS"-- they are about 90% creepy, although not as bad as the platypus (which she will not be getting!).  My 9-year-old came home from school yesterday wanting to "research platypi"!  They know I read "that book" (SU) online, but I don't think they know about the platypus connection...
Although, now that Bear mentions it, I may need a stuffed one for my birthday!

Everyone should have at least one stuffed platypus.  Grin

*watches his life get devoured like Dread Cthulhu snacking on a yacht*

Snacking, folks, snacking. I don't know where you got any other ideas, and frankly I'm not sure I want to know =)
Cole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:18 am »

Wow. That thing is creepy as sin. Yikes!

Oh, and txanne? I gave that same stuffed platypus to my sister for <insert winter holiday of choice here> a few years ago. I nearly kept it for myself, it was so cute!
el_jefe

Nom nom nom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

Maybe one could repaint it?

I carry a gun because I can't fit Sol Todd in my pocket.
MadGastronomer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00:37 am »

The mind boggles at the possibilities for repaints...
ebony14

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:48:21 am »

I think I will stick with the stuffed Psyduck, thank you very much.
MadGastronomer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:52 pm »

I'm still looking for a stuffed Geoduck.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: