Holding back the heat death of the universe with yarn bombing!
OMFG I just realized something. I just realized that the thing I keep saying "Oh, I wish I knew something small enough to run in the Sheraton Midtown, next to Global Market, because they don't have enough function space, but the location is brilliant," -- I know what that thing is now
OK, here are the specifics:
- Meeting rooms that will handle between 20 and 80 people, with 80 as the absolute maximum.
- Property (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1546
is part of hotel chain which has good relationship with local convention organizers.
- Global Market shares a parking lot with the hotel. (Global Market is http://www.midtownglobalmarket.org/
, and houses Pham's Deli, home of my current favorite banh mi, and the Salty Tart, makers of excellent savories worth getting up early to grab some of before everybody else buys them out, not to mention the eponymous salted caramel chocolate tart, and La Sirena Gorda, and the place with the good Middle Eastern groceries and prepared food, and umptyleven other good things. It's been a major excellent startup zone for new businesses, particularly restaurants and grocery stores, in a range of cuisines weighted toward South and Central America, Mexico, southeast Asia, and parts of Europe and Africa, especially around the Mediterranean, though there's other stuff as well.)
- Science fiction bookstore and mystery bookstore within one block. (Uncle Hugo's and Uncle Edgar's)
- Outstanding yarn store (more of a yarn lounge/salon/hangout/paradise, really) six blocks away on direct busline. (StevenBe's Yarn Garage Workshop, http://stevenbe.com/
, and he probably knitted something Vivian Cartwright wore in the SU television show.)
- Connections by public transit to airport (one bus ride to light rail), train station (two connecting buses, though it's a rather long ride), interstate bus station (one bus ride) and downtown Minneapolis (one bus ride).
What that says to me is Shadow Unit convention. Gathering. Ingathering. Whatever.
I wants it. I wants it enough to make it happen if anybody else wants it and if we've got some lead time.
(The place is also a five minute cab ride from my house, and a block from where I go to physical therapy. I know the area fairly well. I think Chaz would find stuff he likes to eat, and he'd fit right in among the clientele and business owners, as would the rest of the team.)
Edited to add: There's even a place at Global Market called, I think, Kitchen In The Market or something like that, which could possibly be hired if, say, we had a mad scientist who wanted to make something. Just supposing we did. *whistles innocently*