Shadow Unit
April 26, 2017, 12:52:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't want us to play with your head, don't leave it where we can find it.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Empathy  (Read 28849 times)
tylik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 11:25:37 am »

O RLY?! Do come play in our "what's the Anomaly" threads!

Thank you - I will try to stick my nose over there.
Aspie Dave

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »

I just discovered these last night and am already hooked... but I felt the need to post here, even knowing that it's an old topic and may be ignored.  I'm autistic, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and like of a lot of people with it I dont' find it to be a handicap, instead I enjoy the capabilities it seems to give me.  I have no problem seeing Dr. Frost as an autistic.  In fact, that was my first thought, when I started reading her dialogue and it was reinforced, when she had a small scene in a later episode.  The post regarding mirror neurons, was nicely done, and yes, those do appear to relate in part to the autistic spectrum.  We do appear to also have mirror neurons, but ours don't cause the same responses as they do in normals.  Nor are we lacking in emotion, a crushing sense of lonliness often accompanies autism, the apparent inability to "connect" with normals, though we do tend to connect pretty well with other autisitics.  In short, we have emotions (usually, it's called a spectrum because there's such a huge range of variation) and experience them, sometimes even connecting and having empathy.  What we apparently don't do, though, is do this instinctively, the way normals grow up doing.  We have to learn to do it, and it takes most of us a few years.  We also tend to mature on an emotional level at about 2/3rd's the rate of our chonological age.  A fifteen year old aspie boy, is really only emotionally about 10 years old...  a difficult combination at best, and "best" isn't what usually happens...   There's a lot more, besides that, but no, I have no problem seeing Dr. Frost as autistic.  In fact, her disinterest in connecting with living humans is familiar to me, I feel that way in a "general" sense.  Humanity in general holds no interest for me, but I do find interest in individuals.  I've known other autistics who didn't even care about individuals, they simply want to study the things that interest them, and humans are a "necessary evil" to them. 
txanne
Laser Snark

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 01:05:36 pm »

Welcome, Dave! Have some BBQ! And thanks for the info.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: