Shadow Unit
December 21, 2014, 01:48:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Home of discriminating Jeffs everywhere.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Daphne's Bi?  (Read 11402 times)
lunarsara

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »

Am I the only one surprised by this?  We've all been riffing on Brady's reaction.  I'm actually a little floored that Daphne claims to be bi and not gay. 

Contrary to popular belief, bi girls have it tough.  If you're out with your potential partners then far too many girls don't like the idea that you've dated boys and far too many of the boys are busy thinking about threesomes (or they get jealous when you both end up distracted by the same cute girl).  And there's a lot of pressure to pick a side.  It can be a bit of a scary in between place.  I wonder how long she's known she's bi and I wonder what made her decide that she doesn't belong on one side of the fence or the other.
el_jefe

Nom nom nom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

I dunno, I know more girls that are bi than gay. But given my circles, that isn't that surprising. It's still early enough in the series that I am trying to avoid forming preconceptions.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:32:41 pm by el_jefe » Logged

I carry a gun because I can't fit Sol Todd in my pocket.
mocknot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:36:41 pm »

Yeah, I kind of figured she was just being as honest as she could. Like, she could've just let them assume she was gay, but didn't. Mm, I'm failing at thinking of a good way to phrase what I want to say, but I guess she decided that if she was going to come out at work, she should to be accurate about it.
MadGastronomer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:47:56 am »

It's been mentioned at least a couple of times on the LJs, once when Daphne made reference to being counted as a lesbian because that's the relationship she's in, and once when Cowboy defended her against some other agent being a jackass (the other agent said something about the door swinging both ways with the new girl, which is fairly standard code for bisexuality).
turtlerock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:12 am »

I like that she's bi.  It makes for the possibility of an interesting triangle with Hafs and Chaz.  Like when she doesn't acknowledge that Chaz is pretty, eventhough I think she'd admit that Hafs is.  My ass! I think.  She appears to spend way more time looking a Chaz, for various reasons, than anyone else, yet she denies his obvious coyote charms.  "Shennanigans!" I call. So I amuse myself by thinking, does she has a secret (even to herself) crush on Hafs or Chaz or both?   What can I say? I am both sleep-deprived and easily amused.
el_jefe

Nom nom nom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 09:30:08 am »

Or maybe she is going through Chaz to get to Tasha   Cheesy

I carry a gun because I can't fit Sol Todd in my pocket.
turtlerock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:33:22 am »

Or maybe she is going through Chaz to get to Tasha   Cheesy

Yes! I like they  way you think. ... Heh.
Korvar
Laser Snark

Warning: Beard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 10:10:51 am »

She may just see Chaz as a little dorky brother, rather than a potential love interest.  And Hafidha as a Wise Mentor Smiley

Or she could lust after either or both.  What do I know? Smiley

www.cugley.co.uk
Mike @ Nearly Enough Dice podcast
Follow me on Twitter
turtlerock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:31:15 am »

She may just see Chaz as a little dorky brother, rather than a potential love interest.  And Hafidha as a Wise Mentor Smiley

Or she could lust after either or both.  What do I know? Smiley

I do not actually want a triangle or any office romance, but its the POSSIBILITY of one that makes things interesting and can create tension and/or hilarity. It adds an extra layer as to how one can view a scene.  Something like, "Crap! My dorky little brother is kinda hot.  Ewww....where is the brain bleach?"  Or: "Does my wise mentor have a secret thing for our dorky little brother?  Huh. Where does that leave this third musketeer? And if I feel left out, who do I miss more?  And why?" 

The possibilities are endless.
valentina

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 07:37:59 am »

It's been mentioned at least a couple of times on the LJs, once when Daphne made reference to being counted as a lesbian because that's the relationship she's in, and once when Cowboy defended her against some other agent being a jackass (the other agent said something about the door swinging both ways with the new girl, which is fairly standard code for bisexuality).

She also mentions a (longterm?) college boyfriend at one point in Chaz's lj. It apparently ended badly, with cheating and STD testing. On his part, I hasten to add.
chk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:34:01 am »

There was a study published a couple of months back that concluded that unlike males, bi-sexuality is a distinct female sexual identity. (A previous study had concluded that there was no such thing as a bi-sexual male).

Start here, which links to several papers and discussions on the subject:  http://www.plastic.com/article.html;sid=08/01/18/17354510

(As always with these types of sites, some of the comments are insightful, and some are inane, so ignore them. :-)
Elizabeth Bear
Producer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:07 am »

I remember hearing about the first study and laughing my ass off.

Hello, let's ignore some four thousand years of documented human sexual behavior....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chaz: "As if puberty weren't stressful enough."

Todd: "See? That's why we're better than all those other law enforcement agencies. Correct use of the subjunctive."
chk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:25:42 am »

I remember hearing about the first study and laughing my ass off.

Hello, let's ignore some four thousand years of documented human sexual behavior....

I hadn't seen it until the second one came out.

I look at all those reports (especially the ones that make it into the news) with my Skeptic Hat (tm) on. Usually you can rip apart the experimental methodology easily, but sometimes you have to look for the experimental bias in more obscure places... Smiley
CJ

Evil Mousse

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:13:33 am »

I flagged that for reading later - just read the head article.  I know there's plenty of research out there that puts sexuality on a spectrum, and strict monosexuals as the exception rather than the norm.  Kinsey, yeah, but there's been more recent stuff. 

"We all ended up somewhere with our various uncertain lives flapping about us in tatters and our pockets full of foreign coins."
K. E. Gordon - The Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Eager, the Innocent and the Doomed
lunarsara

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »

I flagged that for reading later - just read the head article.  I know there's plenty of research out there that puts sexuality on a spectrum, and strict monosexuals as the exception rather than the norm.  Kinsey, yeah, but there's been more recent stuff. 

This sort of stuff feels closer to right to me.   Any study that claims people fit into nice neat little sexual preference packages just strikes me as ridiculous.  Human sexuality is slippery complicated stuff! 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: