Shadow Unit
November 27, 2014, 07:52:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 9.8 meters per second per second. On that you can rely.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Bored with the old new content topic...  (Read 30125 times)
eschatonic
Laser Snark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 01:32:36 am »

I foresee a totally, totally hilarious future in which Margaret Putnam tells Gray he should bring his "friend" for some kind of family holiday at which she can play mind games with a worthy opponent and give everyone else a coronary.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
antongarou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:18:47 am »

I wonder what would happen if Gray's grandmother ever met Reyes. I suspect that "Hilarity ensues" is an understatement for that.
eschatonic
Laser Snark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 07:03:39 am »

Naw, come on. Reyes is a black Cuban. His family is full of tiny little ferocious old ladies who were done putting up with bullshit from anyone long before he was born. You do not talk back to these ladies, because if you do, You'll Be Sorry, and Reyes knows this in the same way he knows that if you drop something it will move towards the ground. If he met Gray's grandmother she'd find his Do Not Talk Back To Grandma button in about six seconds and that would be the end of his resistance.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
tylik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 08:20:43 am »

Oh. When Gray has said he wasn't out with work, and followed it up by an invitation to go sailing I'd thought the implication was that he was out to his family. Which left me pretty confused about why he wasn't out at work - I mean really, the State Department just isn't that conservative. But if he's not out to his family of course he's not out at work - especially since he's in State. The chances of his family's circles and his work circles not being connected? About zip, from the looks of his family. Though he seems to be taking one of the more torturous means of not being out, if, as it seems, it really is that big a deal to everyone involved.*

Margaret Putnam is pretty awesome.

And it's kind of pleasant to see Gray and Danny interacting in Gray's fucked-up space for once, with Danny having his feet solidly planted on the ground. Gives me a lot of hope for the both of them.

* I'm not sure I can particularly throw stones. When I started renting from my mom, when I was eighteen, aside from the "who, what and how many are in my bed is none of your business" clause, I just told her that I couldn't be bothered to lie to her about such things so that if she was going to ask, she better really want to know. And then I ended up coming out to her three times. Because she's no good at not asking, but she's very good at not knowing things she doesn't want to know.
Cole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:39 am »

Wow, I loved that extra. Thanks, PTB!
miminnehaha

Has anyone seen my book? Anybody?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:30 am »

... she's no good at not asking, but she's very good at not knowing things she doesn't want to know.

I know I'm not supposed to like that about a person, and it surely makes them difficult to live with, but I'd like a story about this character!

"I was waiting for the dotted yellow.  I'm not Chaz."                          It was a rich, hallucinatory web of geometry...
miminnehaha

Has anyone seen my book? Anybody?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 11:04:20 am »

The ptb soothed my fears by immediately asserting the source as Danny's -copness-, but I was screaming wordlessly for a minute when he was assessing the feasability of hiding a body without a drop of ecr (right after contemplating a lot of <whimper, whimper> stressors.  Ackle!

"I was waiting for the dotted yellow.  I'm not Chaz."                          It was a rich, hallucinatory web of geometry...
DavidG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 12:44:06 pm »

Wonderful! The Putnam family's own version of being positively vetted (that's security cleared for non-Brits, but 'positively vetted' comes with just the right implications....).
hawkwing_lb
Laser Snark

No Dumping Dead Bodies Overboard In Harbour Area

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 12:50:51 pm »

I liked that one.

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living."

L. Annaeus Seneca, Epistles
tylik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »

I know I'm not supposed to like that about a person, and it surely makes them difficult to live with, but I'd like a story about this character!

So this was enough of a brain bending thought (in some subtle way, it's not like I'm particular shy about writing about my family) that I plunked away at it a bit. Two problems:

1) This really isn't the place for it. (Yeah, I know that I'm usually tangent girl. But this is bad even for me.)
2) There's the whole polite conversation thing. Again, not usually something I feel particularly bound by, but generally I want to feel that I'm at least making a particular point if I'm likely going to be freaking folks out.
el_jefe

Nom nom nom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 09:54:59 pm »

Fun snippet, as others mentioned it was nice to see some one other than Brady squirm a bit. Also, after the conversation in the car, I would giggle if Gray turned out to be a DS guy at State.

I carry a gun because I can't fit Sol Todd in my pocket.
Clarentine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 09:07:18 am »

Here's a thought:  what prompted Gray to offer up his initial line about problems not being resolved by punching something? 
eschatonic
Laser Snark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:08 am »

Here's a thought:  what prompted Gray to offer up his initial line about problems not being resolved by punching something? 

I'm going to go with "Brady managed to hurt himself at the gym while dealing with his issues via punching bag."

tylik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 10:51:40 am »

I've been wondering about that whole exchange. It could be symbolic on some general force vs. diplomacy level... but I read it a little more as Gray sending out test probes trying to figure out in what way was the last case a cluster fuck. Not that the two are exclusive. It's a nice way to do some polite fishing - have some wide ranging general discussions, and see if any patterns emerge from the other person's interactions. 'Course, it's possible that Gray was thinking a bit about the potential downsides of bringing his dream cowboy home, but I generally give him enough credit for social cluefulness that he wouldn't be raising the subject were he not pretty comfortable with his own reactions.

One of the pieces we don't have is how much they know about each other's lives. And how well they know each other. It's likely both have a certain amount of "can't talk about work" probably served with a generous side dish of "don't talk about work" - but not necessarily symmetrically, and there are a lot of ways of talking about the important things if you want to. Until recently, their relationship seemed to exist in a little bubble - no friends in common, no general social network in which they were a couple... which can yield a lot of intimacy, but there's a kind of narrowing of perspective, where you don't see you partner interacting with other people, and other people interacting with them and all the things that allow you to better interpret what passes between the two of you. They both do seem to generally manage to be grown ups* but I gather as they're kind of easing in to something like having a life together there's a lot of uncharted ground for the both of them. And hey, Danny at least has like twenty years less practice of bringing home dates to meet the family than many folks do.

* Grown ups aren't expected to be perfect, but they are expected to have some idea what adult behavior is and to keep aiming for it.
Edmund Schweppe

Smart is sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »

I'm going to go with "Brady managed to hurt himself at the gym while dealing with his issues via punching bag."

I'm going with "Brady managed to break the punching bag at the gym while dealing with his issues via punching bag", myself.

"Suddenly one of my great satisfactions in life is knowing I'm not a character in an Anne Rice novel." - Hafidha
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: